Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Rainy Day Picnic

Today was a rainy day, one of those days where you just want to snuggle up in a blanket with a book. 
And that's exactly what I did. 



I was on the third or fourth page when Angie interrupted me. She seemed pretty excited, like she had an idea that she wanted to tell me (which she usually has).
"Hey Carla! Let's have a picnic!" 
I looked at her like she was crazy. "Angie, it's raining cats and dogs outside." 
"Oh Carla," she shook her head, exasperatingly. "An indoor picnic." 


That sounded like fun. "Great idea!" I said. 
"I'll get the food, and you get the blanket." Angie instructed, and we both ran around to get everything.  


I headed to the kitchen, and saw some sesame biscuits my mom had just baked cooling on the table. They smelled so good-- our mom is the second-best cook I know. The first is my grandma. 
 I took a few of the biscuits, and a piece of beef pie, and put it in a little tin pail for a basket. 


Meanwhile, Angie went to the blanket drawer, and found a pretty purple plaid blanket. It was just the right size, and so she took it and brought it to our bedroom. We decided to have our picnic there, so she spread it on the ground. 



I met her in our room, and immediately we sat down to enjoy our little feast. We didn't talk much-- we were too busy eating. Everything was so good, and somehow, food tastes better when you're eating it in a different place then your kitchen table (in my opinion). After we ate everything up, we talked and argued and joked around like we usually do when we are together, and it was a good time. 



When we were full and satisfied and happy, we flopped down on the blanket and took a nap. It was dark outside, so we fell asleep fast. Usually I don't take naps, because I can't bear to when the sun is shining and the birds are chirping and everything feels so alive outside, but since it was raining I decided that it was okay. 


When we woke up a little later, it had stopped raining. But that dreary feeling still hung about in the air, so Angie and I climbed onto our bed, and just talked for awhile. It felt good to share with my sister, for sisters can be the best of friends, can't they? Like my grandpapa says, we "eat together, work together, and play together." We're stuck in the same house whether we like it or not, and it's better to just make the most of it. Besides, Angie really is an awesome sister, and I'm sure that there's a gem in every sibling, sometimes you just have to look hard to see it. But it's there. 




Here's the one thing that ties everyone together: love. 
Show some love to someone today. 


xoxo,
Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment